My Ugly Balun

I built an ugly balun today to try and address the SWR swings I was getting on 20m. It actually went together in about 10 minutes. To build it I used a 4″ PVC pipe coupler as a form. I drilled two small holes to run a tie wrap through to hold the end of the coax in place. I had a 25 foot piece of RG-8X laying around with PL-259 connectors on each end. I wrapped 15 turns around the coupler and then tied it off the same was as the other end. Some long tie wraps then are used to hold the winding securely on the form. I replaced the 1:1 current balun I had been using with this. To match up the coax connectors I used two bulkhead connectors and wrapped with electrical tape (for now). Here’s what the finished balun looks like:

20170809_225801226_iOS

And here it is installed at the vertical antenna feedpoint:

20170810_003629514_iOS

 

The balun seems to help with the SWR issues on 20m but I see some shifts in the overall SWR response. I’ll likely have to tweak that over the next few days.I have some ferrite toroids on the way as well and will try and build a choke with those as well. Signal reports on both 40m and 20m SSB were real good tonight!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: