Homebrew Buddipole Shakedown Testing

Sometime ago I built a homebrew version of a Buddipole horizontal dipole antenna. I only deployed it once to test and have not really used it much since. I am considering using this antenna for Field Day this year on the 20m band and wanted to test it out. Happy I did for several reasons. Here is the antenna deployed at 16ft with a painters pole:

Photo May 27, 1 47 33 PM

The antenna is guyed at two levels. The painters pole is inserted into a speaker stand tripod. Here is the SWR plot:

BUDDIPOLE Custom

Most of SWR is below 2 however the resonance point is outside the band on the high side.  So I have to lengthen the antenna slightly. The whips are already at their max so I will have to adjust the loading coils. One more turn on each should give me room to adjust with the whip lengths if necessary.

Something else that needs to be addressed is that the antenna swings around in the wind. I need to add an attachment point for a separate line to secure it from swinging. The old “Armstrong” method of swinging the antenna around. Finally, I need to put a true 1:1 current balun at the feed-point. I have the kit to build one and will do so this week.

The antenna has performed well. I called CQ this afternoon and made 5 contacts from South Dakota to Florida and North Carolina. Band Conditions have been fairly bad with considerable QSB. Europe will open up in a couple of hours and will try it again then.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: